Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kids Book Suggestions

Tonight I'm going to my boyfriend's niece's first birthday party. We're gifting Miss Mabel some Dwell Studio building blocks and a few choice reads. I was thinking that I actually, awkwardly maybe, still own alot of the books I read as a child. Even though I've passed my expiry date on bedtime stories (barring a good accidental George Saunders sextory from Acton that is), the books I had read to me when I was 5 or 6 are still some of my most cherised possessions.  What are some of your all time favorites? My top ten is below. Am i forgetting anything? It's been a while..

1. Blueberries for Sal
2. The Very Hungry Catepillar (bonus points for interactive page design)
3. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst  
4. The Mitten by Jan Bret
5. Renard the Fox, by Rachel Anderson
6. Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
7. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch
8. Bread and Jam for Francis, Russell Hoban
9. Miss Rumphius, Barbara Cooney
10. The Borrowers by Mary Norton


3 comments:

  1. How about Trumpet of the Swan, Matilda, The Whipping Boy, Max and Ruby, Brave Irene, and anything by James Marshall?

    Most hated children's book -- The Rainbow Fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ferdinand
    Where the Wild Things Are
    George and Martha
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

    Nice picks, ellis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good picks guys! Ferdinand=such a classic!

    ReplyDelete