Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Elif Batuman

When the New Yorker's 20 under 40 came out, I have to admit, I was not inspired to order any of the writers' works.* The same can not be said of this hilarious post on Elif Batuman's blog. Her comments on Oprah and the bebe Koalas are too funny. I'm going to go snap up a copy of The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them asap. 
So there, score one for the publishing industry: reader swayed by the 'writer's blog' marketing ploy. 
You never know, maybe it will motivate me to crack open my new Penguin Classic Edition of War and Peace that's been skulking around the house all winter...
*I was reading Infinite Jest at the time and the idea of picking up another book seemed incredibly daunting.
or better yet you may want to read Anna Karenina first

No comments:

Post a Comment